Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fig & Olive

We got a new kitten last Friday. We had our choice of two different ones-brothers. I chose the one that was really cuddly, had something wrong with its leg (a double-joint) and looked liked it really needed some love. What can I say...I am a sucker for fragile things.

Matt & I surprised the kids that day with their new 8 week old kitten. We have one cat, age 1.5 years and thought it would be a good idea to get a playmate for her.  The kids were so elated with joy. We spent all night cuddling and showering love on our new kitten.


Look at that face! So stinkin cute.


However, the kitten was really lethargic and would not drink or eat a thing. I got worried and made an appointment at our vet for Saturday morning. We went in and they took him away for x-rays because his belly seemed really swollen. While in the waiting room, the girls picked out the name "Fig Newton," Fig for short.

The vet came in and informed us that our kitten was dying and would need to be put to sleep that day! Apparently it had a ruptured bladder and was too weak to endure any type of surgery being that young and fragile. I cried. It brought back memories of when I had to put my cat down as a teenager.

I was so sad for my kids. We took Fig home to say goodbye and so that we could let my son say goodbye as well. As I came in the door, with the kitten wrapped in a blanket in my arms, and walked upstairs, it passed away. I was so sad and could not quit crying. Such a sweet, tender, young little thing that died so young.

My kids kept asking when we could get another one, so I did some research and found a place that adopts only healthy kittens. They are called CAT. They do all the tests, shots, spay/neuter and put a microchip in before you pick it up. We went today (to the foster parent's house) to choose from 3 kittens (1 boy and 2 girls).

My kids (mainly Jaiden) loved the boy, but I had a feeling we would have to name him "trouble." He is a cutie, but super rambunctious and a little crazy. Hehe. We decided on a female that is super sweet. She is only 6 weeks old, so we get to pick her up in two weeks once she gets surgery (fixed). We are so excited to welcome our second (and last pet) kitten to our home.

Meet "Olive."


No comments:

Post a Comment