Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mom Groups



I haven't done a "normal" blog post for a while, so here it goes.

I finally got a shower - at eight p.m. Only this time I did not have a six-year-old ask why my boobs are "hanging like that" or "what are all those race car marks on your belly?" No, this time I took a shower in a quiet house. I shaved, lotioned and even have time to type this. 
     
When you are a young mom, you think that things will eventually get better, easier and you will have more time for yourself. Reality check - you. do. not. 

This morning I woke up at 6, got two grumpy girls off to school, checked my email, got my son off to school, had enough time to make myself presentable to pick one daughter up for school, have a phone interview, run the lunch money my son forgot to his middle school, pick up my kindergartner, hit Marshall's because my daughter needed a dress for Sunday, the pet store because my youngest had to see the fish (what is it with fish? Is it me or are they incredibly boring?), Costco because of course we are out of cat food, back to pick up my other daughter, apply for jobs, son gets home, homework, chores, fighting, wash the "ugly sweater" I picked up at Goodwill for school tomorrow, then make husband take kids swimming so I can have an hour to myself - and to shower - alone. Did I mention we have not had dinner yet? I can't wait to throw soccer practice four days a week into this mess and work.

I know people always say, slow down, enjoy these times because they grow too fast. True. However, your role as their parent never really eases up, it just evolves - and I need a break.

I have noticed lately that there are many "Mom Groups" on FB for young moms. What about the mom's in my age bracket (elementary and middle school)? I need to form a "Your preteen is about to head into dating, drugs, driving, friends -  and your daughters fight, make-up, fight, make-up (repeat ten more times) in one day, I am going to go insane, wait until they both start their periods, kill me now" group.

And then there is exercise. I really need to start working out again. Today I put a picture of a Lego guy lifting weights on my phone's  "Home Screen" to try to motivate me to workout. I will let you know how it's working for me. Right now, all I want to do is eat black licorice. ~S




1 comment:

  1. You don't need a FB group full of women who don't understand you, your limitations, your talents and how amazing you are. You have friends who love you and we are all in the same boat :) A shower alone?? I'll have to try that sometime :)

    ReplyDelete