Thursday, March 17, 2011

Slacking


I have been very busy the last few weeks-which explains my lack of blog posts. Like so many other Americans, we have lost money on our house. We bought it planning on being here for about 2-4 years...we are coming up on 5. So, because we can't get the money we need to out of it, we decided to do some improvements and enjoy it in the meantime. I hated the laminate flooring and carpet the builder put in, so we replaced it with tile and hand scraped, distressed hardwood. I.LOVE.IT!

My husband and I did the wood floors and believe me my body felt it! I have severe cracks in my hands, days of back pain and complete exhaustion. But nothing is better than working your tail end off and having something beautiful in the end to show for it. For some reason, doing it myself makes me appreciate it more. I did not realize so many things would have to be replaced. New heater vents, paint, tools, baseboard (what do you think of the bigger baseboard?) door stops and many other things.

I must say, we did a beautiful job. I love the transition from the tile to the wood. My brother (bless his heart) helped with the tile while he was here on business. I felt really bad that his back pain came back as a result. However, whenever I look at the tile I remember him :)

We are done. Thankfully. Although we still have to install the corner bead on the bottom of the kitchen cabinets-we stained the wood yesterday and will be doing it today :) Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. ~S

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great! I can't wait to come over and see it in person. I'm so glad you're liking the wood. Yay for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe you guys did this yourselves! It is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete