Thursday, March 22, 2012

Change

This week was rough. I had a great boss. In fact, she was my first boss since I graduated from Marylhurst.

I liked her from the start. In my interview, she made me laugh and I felt a connection right away. After I started working for her, the laughing continued. When I screwed up, she did not belittle me or make me feel dumb, but rather made me laugh at my mistake and realize that maybe I was just having a bad day.

I felt like I could talk to her about anything. She just had that type of personality. For freelance, she always made sure I had all the work I wanted and was considerate enough to text me when there was nothing to pick up so I didn't waste my time coming to the office. She stood up for us freelancers and was not afraid to do the same for herself. I admired her.

I could set my own hours, days and how much work I took. I could text her late at night (if I was at the office) or any time of day if I had questions or just wanted to complain. Hehe.

Last week, she got laid off. Everything has changed. My new boss has no clue what he is doing, as is the typical story around the office, no one else does either. So, I, along with other freelancers are not getting work, are driving in for no reason and when we do get work, it is extremely minimal. I am hoping that eventually they will get there shit (sorry) together and things will go back to some consistency. If not, I will have to quit.

The part I am really upset about is they are trying to dictate when I come in. That is NOT freelance. Freelance work means you set the days you work, how much you work and what time you work. I was told today that I needed to come in each and every day! Argggg. Why? There is no work!

I miss my old boss :(. I hope that I will not have to look for another job, as this one was really working out for my family. Pray that things calm down and all is well in the land of Sherrie :/. ~S

No comments:

Post a Comment