Saturday, April 23, 2011

Finally!

So I decided after much research and contemplation to take an anti-depression/anxiety pill. I have heard from other women who have vulvar pain or LS that certain anti-depressants can help with chronic pain and itching. My mood has also been crazy lately (lack of motivation and so forth) so even though I am usually against taking any kinds of pills, I was desperate for some relief and decided to go for it.

I had a phone appointment with my doctor and she suggested a pill called Celexa. It has an antihistamine which is helping with my itching immensely (I have not woken up once the last two nights). It is often used for people with OCD-which I think my husband is excited about. LOL! I have been known to be a little on the OCD side :). The first two days were rough. It made me have headaches when I woke up (although today was better) and nausea all day long to the point that I felt pregnant.

Today, the nausea is gone and my morning headache (I take the pill at bedtime) was not as bad. I am hoping after being on them a week, the headache will disappear. I was skeptical about it at first, but let me tell you, I.Love.This. Medicine.

My itching and pain during the day has been reduced by 50% and I am sleeping better. Plus an added bonus, I have no desire to eat and have no appetite! Crazy huh? I read this was one of the side effects and let me tell you, I am loving it! I am literally having to force myself to eat. I could stand to lose a few pounds so this I am excited about.

I have always been determined not to put chemicals in my body, but when you get to the point that your quality of life is diminished and you lose desire to function like a normal human being, sometimes it is necessary.
I am so glad to finally have some relief. I am only on 10mg for the first ten days and then I will double my dose. I am hoping to have more relief once I double it.

The only bad things about the pill is that I cannot drink alcohol (no big deal, I only drank occasionally before) and I cannot take anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen. I use ibuprofen for body aches and headaches, so I guess I will have to switch to something else.

~S

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you have found a medicine that helps you. None of us want to rely on a pill. But there is nothing wrong in taking care of your health, especially when you see an improvement inyour diease.Congratulations on your new and continued better health!

    ReplyDelete