Saturday, November 10, 2012

Life Changing

I had the pleasure the other day to speak with a wonderful woman (the same age as me) who just finished up the stem cell/plasma procedure for LS two weeks ago.  It was life changing.

She is the first person I have ever met with LS. I cannot express how it was to talk to someone who can relate, knows how I feel, the pain I experience and all of the struggles. We spoke for a long time.

Before I spoke with her, I was having mixed feelings about the procedure (how will I ever afford it, can I tolerate the pain, is it the right thing to do, and so forth). After I got off the phone, I had made up my mind and felt peace with my decision to move forward with the procedure.

I felt like I had known this woman for years. I hope we can continue to keep in contact and I hope that one day our families can meet. I am sure my husband would love to talk to another spouse that can relate to him as well.

She answered all my questions about the procedure and I hope that my outcome is as great as her (she has an 80% improvement with flare-ups occasionally).  She gave me some great advice and I was in awe at her strength.

The procedure sounds very painful as I will more than likely have over 60+ injections, lipo suction to harvest the stem cells, all while awake with a mild sedative. I am scared of the pain, but know that I will find it in me to get through it. She said the first procedure takes 4-5 hours. That is a lot of time to be in pain. It is unknown how long the results will last. Perhaps I will only have an improvement of my symptoms for a few months or years, but it would be worth it to get some quality of life back.

I don't want to get my hopes up in case we do not raise enough money or it takes a long time for me to actually be able to get the procedure, but I am trying to remain hopeful.

I only pray I have as good as an outcome as her. Dear friend if you are reading this, I am so blessed to have met you. ~S

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you I want to cry just reading this! I will keep working with you until the funds are raised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. You have been in my thoughts since our conversation. I pray that your fundraisers are going well and can help you earn the money you need for the procedure. God Bless and Merry Christmas. Please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete