Sunday, February 6, 2011

Naturopathic Physician

I have been treated by more than a handful of physicians familiar with LS in the Kaiser Network as well as gone to the Vulvar Pain Clinic in Portland for three years with no change or relief in my disease. All doctors seem to want to do is write me a prescription for steroid creme (I do not respond to these and my skin has thinned too much from them over-prescribing). I heard that a naturopathic clinic called A Woman's Time might be worth looking at so I am in the process of finding out if they have a doctor familiar with LS and if my insurance will cover it. I will keep you posted. This is what I have tried in the last 6 years (since my disease advanced to fissures):

  •  Instant Ocean and Epson Salt Baths
  • Steroid Injections (those were fun)
  • Steroid Cremes & Various Topical Prescription Ointments including: Clobetasol propionate (an ultrapotent steroid),Betamethasone dipropionate and Halobetasol propionate
  • All cotton underwear, no soaps that have perfume or dyes
  • Flax seed oil, aloe vera gel/pills
  • Calendula ointment and Neosporin 
  • Peri-bottle since I tear from toilet paper
  • Vicodin for pain
  • Icing the area
  • Antihistamines
  • Prescription sedatives at night
I have pretty much exhausted the treatments they use for LS other than estrogen. It appears that more than likely I have an auto-immune disorder so estrogen probably would not help. I am hoping a Naturopathic Physician will have some more ideas including the possibility of  immunomodulatory macrolactams (immunosuppressive, immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory agents) especially since the use of steroid cremes may cause long term toxicity, cause skin atrophy and inhibit collagen synthesis. I am hoping to eventually get in the remitting and relapsing stage of the disease instead of always being in pain. Because of my scarring, they are concerned with progression of squamous cell carcinomas and infection of fissures.

Do any of you see Naturopathic Physicians? Have your experiences been positive? -S

1 comment:

  1. I myself have not see a Naturopathic Dr. but a friend of mine goes to one....she has an autoimmune. She loves all of the providers in the clinic, Sherwood Family Medicine (503)625-2848. She sees Dr. Debbie Rice and she is a ND. The clinic consists of an MD, NDs, a P.A & a CFNP. They strive to get your body in balance and get to the root, not that LS can be cured but controlled????f hopefully!!!
    I also want to say...your blog is AMAZING!! I am SOOOOO proud of you & have so much respect for you & am honored to call you FRIEND! Love ya Friend!!

    ReplyDelete