Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 5

After having Bronchitis since the beginning of December, my joints aching, my LS bad and the overall need to detox after all of the holidays, I have decided to do a Juice Fast.




I have done them in the past (the last one was in 2001) with great results (improved skin, health, energy and weight loss) and my family does it and swears by it. I have done extensive research and so far, after five days, I am feeling great and am getting awesome results.

Here are some benefits of Juice Fasting & the science behind it:

1.  Improvement toward skin, health, sharpness, and vitality due to the metabolic change.
It involves fasting which reduces the caloric intake to the level where the liver converts stored glycogen to glucose and energy. The brain and central nervous system makes use of the glucose directly. Protein also begins to breakdown effectively.

2. Once the glycogen stores become low, the protein breakdown converts to amino acids which are used as energy. Any stored fats including tissue fats and fatty acids are utilized as energy by converting ketones that prevent the body from preventing protein loss.

3. Benefits of juice fasting is the ability to prevent ketosis (disrupted carbohydrate metabolism in response to chronic starvation) by continuously providing simple carbohydrate that is used by our body for energy and nutrition to the cells.

4. Further juice fasting benefits are the enhancement of our body elimination process for toxins by breaking down any chemicals circulating or stored within our body. All our bodily cells have the chance to repair and eliminate waste.

5. Our liver can be more focused on its detoxification process and regenerate its health condition. Our natural detox organs like colon, kidney, lungs, and blood are also able to purge out the waste products and toxins out of the bodily system efficiently.

6. As such, there is an important process that every faster has to take note of which is known as the healing crisis. This occurs only during a short period of healing and cleansing process that our body is going through. Many have experienced clearance of mucus, headaches, perspiration, sudden surge of fatigue, sleepiness, increased bowel movement and urination.

Things I have learned the first 5 days of juice fasting...


-Mixing Castor oil in Odwalla juice is not a good idea. Duh. The oil does not mix and so your first gulp is straight oil. However, it does cleanse your bowels and enable the detox to begin....at 4am...LOL!

-The first day, expect a headache, hunger pains and weakness.

-After the third day, the hunger pains are gone, the juice satisfies your cravings, your energy is back and you feel great.

-After almost six weeks of a cough, it is now gone!

-I have already seen a decrease in my itchiness with LS. Hurray!

-My joints are no longer as achy.

-My husband cannot Juice Fast due to his health, so I am going it alone. It has not been as hard as I thought.

How do I Juice Fast?

-I basically have juice (vegetable or fruit) along with some protein powder every two hours. I also have water and tea. I am still having coffee, but am hoping to cut this by day seven. No solid food is digested! I am also taking a multi-vitamin.

What is my goal?

Right now, my goal is to fast for 30 days.

How do you incorporate food again and not gain weight?

This is pretty simple. The first few days, you start on soup and continue juicing, then add greens and slowly begin adding other "clean" foods. Of course, if you go back to your bad habits and start eating large portions or unhealthy food, the weight will come right back on. An exercise program is also crucial.

*I will keep you updated and let you know how I am doing! I will also give you a 30 day weight loss and overall summary of how I am feeling.

Have you ever done a Juice Fast?

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment