Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A First!

Today was so surreal. I have never had my third child Ashlin, home alone all day with me.  My older daughter Maddie started first grade today and comes home with her older brother at 3:00. That means I have 8 hours alone with Ash. CRAZY! So strange having only one child at home. The house is sooooo quiet.

So this is how my day went...

I woke at 5:45, was dressed (yes, complete with make-up on), made my son breakfast and waited outside at 6:35 for the bus with him. I came in, got my two girls ready, fed them and drove my daughter to school for her first day of 1st grade! (She will ride the bus tomorrow, but she was nervous to meet her teacher the first day, so I drove her).

I got home at 8, played with Ash, worked from home until 11 (My students had two submissions this week which means 120 papers to grade in 3 days) and then met Matt for lunch. It was interesting to see Ashlin interact at McDonald's. She usually follows her sister around and plays, but since she was alone, today she was apprehensive and would not play with anyone. I think it will be hard for her to get used to the fact that Maddie (her best friend/sister) is gone now all day.

After McDonald's, Ashlin had a friend over, then it was homework time (yes, on the first day-my son), then more grading until Matt gets home.

I am hoping to get into a routine where I am dressed and ready for the day by the time the bus comes at 6:35, work in the morning and spend the afternoon with her doing fun stuff.

I realize this is my last year until she starts preschool, last child at home with me and only opportunity to spend quality alone time with her. I'm excited!!

As for working from home, luckily Matt has Wed-Friday off, so I only have Monday and Tuesday to balance working from home with everything else.

Speaking of, I need to go make dinner before the boss gets home!

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment