Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Exhausted

I have been exhausted lately and am really trying to make an effort to go to bed by midnight instead of waiting up for Matt to get home from work. But still, that is less than six hours a night.

Today, I got the kids to school, edited and went to work. I arrived at home just as the older kids got home and it was homework, play dates, dinner, bath and the bedtime routine. Now I am editing and grading as I have deadlines that must be met. Everyday it is like this and it gets exhausting, especially on the days that we have activities (Girl Scouts, piano, Lego Robotics, etc.).

It is interesting how you think that when your kids get older, life must get easier as they are not toddlers anymore and don't need that much attention. Wrong! It is just a different type of attention and needs that must be met.

When my kids were having a play date at my house with a friend today, I was in my bed resting for at least an hour trying to get some energy to stay up late and work tonight. I may have drifted off a few times during that hour.

What were my kids doing during that time? From the looks of it, playing house. Plastic dishes and food were in various spots, stuffed animals in chairs, baby dolls put to sleep in my linen closet, bedroom closet, bookshelves and drawers. I vaguely remember Ash sitting at my desk in my room a few feet away writing letters (this apparently was her job in playing house) and coming over a few times to have me help her write something.

Yep, I'm that mom. The one that climbs in bed and lets the kids run a muck in the house occasionally. Being a mom, wife, daughter, employee, friend, and sister is exhausting. But, I love every minute of it. I think everyone has days when for a sheer moment, climbing in bed with the covers over your head is just what the doctor ordered. ~S

No comments:

Post a Comment