Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Memories

Last night, I watched three couples' kids so they could go out and enjoy some quiet time on Valentines. We (and I mean me alone) made the kids pizza, cards for them to color for their parents, various games (pin the arrow on the heart, spin the bottle, candy relay, guess the hearts in the jar, etc.) and decorated cupcakes as well as gave them gift bags when they left.

I spent a week preparing, decorating the house and it was all over in two hours. I had a blast despite the noise level (LOL) and all those kids running around. The older kids helped me so much and I could not have done it without them. It was so worth seeing the parents gratefulness both when they dropped the kids off and picked them up.

But, my concern is...will my kids even remember that their mother did these neat things for THEM?

When I was little, my mom did all kinds of things for us, and while I do remember a lot of them, time has also let me forget the majority. That is sad.

I hope my kids remember that I was a fun mom, our house was always welcoming for other kids and families, and all the special things I did to make holidays and everyday life with them fun and memorable. I also hope I am a constant example of selflessness for my kids and that they learn to serve others by my example. 

After all, I do everything I do for them because I love them, want them to have a great childhood and look back and smile :) ~S

2 comments:

  1. I have constantly wondered if you children ever remembered the fun and special things we did. You do so much more and keep a journal with pictures Sherie to help them to remember, oh yeah, I remember that Mom!You are a terrific organizer and planner and have a wonderful sense of humor that children love.Fill their growing years with all the special moments that you can, create traditions that will always bond all of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may not remember all the specifics, but they will remember how they felt.

    ReplyDelete