Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Hang-Out House

Having older kids is so much different than younger ones. My oldest is almost ten and one of my daughters is six. There is not a day that goes by (at least six days a week, sometimes seven) where one or both of their friends hang-out at our house. This makes me the mother of five kids each day. Ha! Ha!

Gone are the days of my older kids wanting to hang out with Mom & Dad and I am okay with that. My daughter prefers to have her friends at our house, but she does go to her friend's house quite a bit too. I am glad that our place is the hang-out house because that way I know what my kids are up to. But it does make the noise level go up considerably. I am scared for summer!!!!!!

Working from home is sometimes a challenge with so many kids around, but on some days it is a blessing. If the kids are occupied, then I am more productive. My kids lives would change considerably if I was not home. I also have to make sure my errands are done before 2:30 because as soon as my son walks in the door he calls his friend. I am grateful that they are outside getting exercise. That is my only rule. My son has to play outside from 3-6 if it is not raining. On weekends though, he is allowed to play video games inside. Those of you who have boys understand-they are loud!!!!!  Speaking of outside, our trampoline was one of the best investments we ever made :)

I love having a house full of kids and laughter. I think it is helping my three year old come out of her shell and be more social. Luckily I shuffle them all out by the time the boss gets home. LOL! I guess it says something about the way we have raised our kids and made a home if kids feel comfortable spending their afternoons here.

Hopefully we will be out of this house by the time they are teenagers! I cannot imagine having a house full of teenage boys and girls without some more space :)

~S

1 comment:

  1. I have heard that hard wood floors make the house seem louder too. Totally worth how nice they look though. I hope that we have a bigger house once our kids are older too; I'd much rather they hang out where I can keep an eye on them. :) You've done a great job at creating a welcoming and fun home.

    ReplyDelete