Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Both my Dad and Grandfather served our country, so it is nice to have a day to honor the men and women who protect our freedom.



My grandfather passed away a few years ago and I never really knew his role serving our country until his passing, which is unfortunate because I would have liked to talk to him about it. I know that he was a USAF Captain, and a tail gunner on B25 airplanes and B29's in World War II. He flew B36's and was later a navigator on B47's.  He received the Soldier's Medal for heroism and was later decorated with the Knights of the Sphinx medal by King Paul of Greece.  He amassed more than 5,000 flying hours during his career. Wow! Amazing.

My dad served during Vietnam in Germany as a data processor. I always loved looking at all his slides from his time in the military. I am so grateful that his education and skills kept him away from the fighting.

We celebrated Memorial Day as most Americans do, with a barbecue. We had an early celebration due to Matt having to go to work at one. I decided yesterday to have a get-together, so I quickly text messaged friends and ran to Costco (a half-hour before they closed!), put a menu together and decorated the house.

We had some friends over and my parents since they are still in town. It turned out really nice considering it was so last minute.

I hope at some point today, you reflect on all the sacrifices that many men and women make each day. Happy Memorial Day. ~S





No comments:

Post a Comment