Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Perspective

Wow. Reading Stephanie Nielson's book has changed my life. Literally.

I have not been able to put it down.

As I read her story, my heart broke for the many months she was in horrific pain in the burn unit, each time she cried when her daughter Jane was too scared to look at her, when her baby did not remember who she was, and when she got up enough courage to look in a mirror.

Her strength astounds me.

I'm not sure, in the same situation, that I would pull through.

Reading her book has given me a new appreciation for life in general and who I am.

Yes, it's true that I deal with pain daily, sometimes don't want to get out of bed and can barely function. But, as I put my kids to bed tonight, I was grateful that my strong body could lift Ashlin into my arms and softly kiss her neck and hear her laugh. It was me that chased my son around a park today and tickled him until he couldn't take it anymore. It was me who smiled as I watched my youngest and my oldest share a childhood tradition on a swing that I used to enjoy as I child...and I was the one to teach them.



I am grateful that I have never had to spend a night unwanted away from my children. No matter what tomorrow brings, I am grateful and blessed for each day I have had with my family and most importantly, I am grateful for me.

I may not be the weight I want, I might have a face covered in freckles and moles all over my body from too many years as a lifeguard, and my woman parts may be scarred, discolored and raw, but that's okay.

I am proud of those freckles and moles because they are part of me. I am proud that I have a body that can move and do simple yet important things like load laundry, climb stairs and cuddle my kids. I am proud for every stretch mark that brought my kids into this world and I am proud of the woman I have become.

I will rock those freckles!


It is amazing how you take your body and life for granted until you read someones story that changes your life. Every time I get down due to my fissures and pain, I will look at her book, read a few pages and be grateful and more importantly, humbled.  My pain could be so much worse, my trials and path in life so much harder.

A quote taken from her book reads, "There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity. -Washington Irving

I could not agree more. Thank you Stephanie for sharing your story. I am truly grateful.

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment