Friday, September 7, 2012

Realizations & A Light Bulb Moment

Lately I have been doing a ton of self-reflection. With renewing my vows in July of 2013 and running a 5k in October, I wanted to get healthy. So, I took about a week and really thought about my life and the choices I have been making in regards to my health.

These are my conclusions:

I had to decide if I was an abstainer or a moderator (thanks Shanon!). I have always been thin. That is, until I hit my 20's. Why? Because when I was younger, I was more conscious about what I ate. I was an abstainer. I never ate bagels, donuts or things that were high in calories. The problem is though, when I moved out and could make those choices myself, I ate everything! Thus, why I have gained weight each year and even when I have lost it, have not kept it off.

So instead of going on a quick fix diet or an eating plan where you have to eat certain things to lose weight, I decided to take control and make changes that were practical and would enable me to keep the weight off.

I decided to educate myself about food and how it acts as a fuel in my body and what soda, sugar and processed food does in comparison. Now every time I am hungry, I eat. I do not keep track of calories and I don't stress out about how much I eat or how frequent.

Every time I crave something, I eat it. If I want to go out to dinner, I do. So what is different?

When I go out to eat, I look at the menu and choose something that is healthy.
I pick restaurants that have more healthy choices.
When I want to snack, I choose something healthy.
When I am hungry, I ask myself if I am really hungry or just thirsty.
Every time I put something in my mouth I ask myself if it is a fuel or am I just eating emotionally.
When I want chocolate, I eat it. A small amount that is. Just enough to derive pleasure.

I have taught myself over the last few weeks to be a moderator, not an abstainer. This has been profound. If I abstain from everything, then I will have "cheat" moments followed by guilt. If I moderate, I will teach myself that pleasure is okay in regards to food as long as you know when to stop. This equals a sense of accomplishment :).

What are the results?
I have lost 20lbs in less than a month just from being conscious of my eating.
I also make sure every snack and meal is a source of protein.
My body is thriving off this new lifestyle.
I can live with this new eating plan and enjoy life.
I am not using food as an emotional comfort anymore.
I can go to a birthday party and eat half a cupcake and not feel bad! But know that is all I need to be content.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ~S

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Sherrie! Feels good when we find something that works for us. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete