Saturday, August 18, 2012

Airplanes, Old Trucks & Guns


On our camping trip, we drove up the mountain and had fun shooting some of Matt's guns. On the way home, we stopped at a gas station and saw our old Ford Ranger that we sold years ago. It was so funny. The guy who bought it, filled our gas. What are the chances?!

I took Maddie to the airport today to board her first flight alone to NV to see my brother and family. So many people have said, "Wow, I could not do that. You are brave!"

The thing is, I am not brave. I just realized (after she cried when Jaiden got to fly 3 different times to his uncles) that she was ready. She begged us. It never even occurred to me that she would want to.

At the airport, the only thing I was worried about was if she would get scared at take-off and landing. But, she did just fine :). I know my brother and wife will take great care of her and she will have many memories from this neat experience. I am glad that my kids get to spend quality time with their uncles/aunts/cousins and that I raised independent children that are confident enough to take on such adventures.

The thing is, when your kids get older you have to make many decisions. For Jaiden is has been: staying home alone, walking home alone from the bus, riding his bike in the neighborhood, babysitting his siblings, walking to the bowling alley with friends, dropping him off to roller skate, swim or go to the movies with friends and so forth.

There really is no appropriate age to decide such things. Every child is different as is every situation. I am a firm believer that for my kids (who are relatively shy) when they have the desire to do something by themselves, I let them. It builds confidence. I saw a difference after Jaiden took his first vacation by himself to my brother's in MT. The trick is to build life skills that enable them to handle such things alone or with friends and make positive choices.

Brave? No. I just know that building relationships with their uncles will make a huge impact on their lives and the more positive role models (besides my husband and I) that my kids have, the more likely they are to be able to leave my house when they are adults and confidently create their own path with a ton of cheerleaders that believe in them :). ~S


Jaiden

Maddie



Ash 
Maddie's first flight!
She was so excited! I was besides myself with worry :/.


My brother and his daughter Morgan waiting at the NV airport for Miss Maddie :).
So funny! Glad it is still running, but it has seen better days. LOL.









No comments:

Post a Comment