Friday, August 10, 2012

Allergies

I have always had issues with allergies. As a teen, I was tested (not to food, just environmental) and was told I needed allergy shots. I was also told I had asthma.

I never got the allergy shots (I can't remember why) and I only used my inhaler for about a year and then just stopped.

Over the years, I have had stomach issues, headaches and mouth and throat irritation.  In the last two weeks, after trying some new food (Persian and Thai) I had a scary reaction. I immediately got hives on my throat and neck, irritation in my throat and mouth, coughing and horrible wheezing. I had to immediately drink Benedryl.

I ended up at the doctor's and he referred me to an allergist. I got tested yesterday and was shocked at how  my body reacted.

Come to find out I am highly allergic to: all weeds, all trees except for the maple, dogs, cats, all melons, apples, apricots, avocado, all nuts except cashews, bananas, sesame and various other things. I am waiting for a blood test to determine more.

I am so allergic to some stuff and the reaction on my arm was so severe that they had to give me a prescription for an Epi-Pen and two inhalers. My airway was scary inflamed and full of mucus.

Because I have not treated my asthma, the doctor said my body has trained itself to take short breaths over the years as deep, normal breaths cause me to cough.

He said with my breathing and allergies combined, I must be feeling like crap. I agree. Finally some answers! I am hoping that if I avoid the things I am allergic to, my itching with LS will improve.

I know it is just food, but most of the stuff I like has nuts. No more food with nuts at ALL. :(.  
I am excited to start feeling better and get rid of this chronic cough. Oh well.

My airway will calm down in three weeks and with inhalers I will still be able to run the 5k. Woo hoo.

 ~S
They inject you with what you may be allergic to and watch the reaction.





This is after. My arm was so swollen. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment